Friday, June 8, 2012

HOPE - The Case for Coaching

HOPE - The Case for ADHD Coaching
by Ned Hallowell, MD

Some 30 years ago, when I first started treating ADHD, I realized that most adolescents and adults who have the condition did not need traditional psychotherapy as much as they needed what I called a "coach."  

Most people don't know this, but I invented the field of ADHD coaching.  In Driven to Distraction I laid out a four-step model I called HOPE.  The coach would start by saying "Hello.  Do I have your attention."  That was the "H".

Next, the coach would ask the client, "What are your 3 top objectives for today?  Just 3.  You must prioritize."  "O" is objectives.

After that the coach asks, "What are your specific plans for accomplishing these objectives?"  "P" is for plans.

Then the coach offers encouragement.  People with ADHD carry a lot of negative energy around with them, so a big dose of encouragement helps spur them on.  "E" is for encouragement.

That was my model. It is an effective, simple model.  Other people have developed other models, and they all have merit.

Coaching is a simple, practical, inexpensive way to help people with ADHD.  It can be done in person, but usually, for the sake of convenience, it is done online or over the phone.

It is a marvelous way to help people get organized and work toward their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment